Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Wheel of Scripture

Several years ago, I volunteered in Kids Ministry. We had to come up with original ways to keep them engaged and not too bored. Bored kids will eat you alive, even in church, lol! 

So anyway, I coded a basic "Wheel of Fortune" clone called "Wheel of Scripture". It helped them to memorize verses that had to do with our lesson. We had it up on the projector and made a kind of game show out of it.
Later my laptop crashed and I lost most of my projects. I found an old CD-Rom recently with the game on there and thought I'd share a screenshot of my cheesy game.



At the moment, there isn't much to it. The board is blank, save for the letter spaces. The game was pretty straight-forward: The players would simply guess a letter, and the operator, usually someone in the Media booth, would hit the key for that letter. If the letter was a correct guess, the game plays a *ding* sound and the letter appears in one of the blank spaces. If the guess is incorrect, it buzzes. The letter is crossed off at the bottom automatically, and the loop continues. 

There is no animation or music when the puzzle is solved. I may go back and finish the game at some point, and add that as a feature. Other ideas include:

-Adding scores
-Adding an actual wheel to spin, and include "Lose a Turn", "Vowel", "Spin Again" etc
-Adding more levels
-Adding the ability to "speak" the letter (language processing), so the game could work as a mobile game employing the microphone

This is one of those fun projects that kind of got abandoned. Game developers all have a huge graveyard of these, like little sketchbooks with incomplete drawings. Hopefully I'll be able to develop it into a fully playable game. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment